Y. M. C. A. Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Beginning in 1870, Hanover College had the first college YMCA chapter in Indiana. In 1883 the college constructed a humble Greek revival/vernacular building, the first hall on a college campus specifically built for the purpose of being a YMCA. (While constructed earlier, Princeton's YMCA was built for other purposes and later became a YMCA.) In 1962, the structure was relocated to an area near the athletic fields of the campus.
Hanover College was a charter member of the international YMCA movement, which first convened in 1877 in Louisville, Kentucky. Hanover College student Luther Wishand (1872-1875) was instrumental in the formation of this international effort.