| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Culver-Stockton College was founded as the first co-educational institution west of the Mississippi River. Accordingly, Johnson Hall, built in 1912, was a residence hall for 44 men to live in one wing and 44 women in the other. A superintendent's office was located in the middle to prevent communication between the sides.
Culver-Stockton historically has placed a high priority on the students' physical fitness. A gymnasium occupied the main floor of the center portion of the building. A swimming pool, dining hall, and laundry room occupied the basement.
The hall represents an early collaboration between important pioneer donors, Mary Culver and Robert Stockton, each of whom contributed $25,000. The dormitory wings of Johnson, originally called Culver-Stockton Hall together, burned in 1923 but were rebuilt to house 100 women. Male students moved to another building at this time. A new gymnasium building with swimming pool was constructed nearby and the former gymnasium and swimming pool area were remodeled to include parlors, classrooms, meeting rooms, practice rooms and a YWCA room.
Johnson Hall, is an imposing structure that today commands one of the finest campus views of the Mississippi River. It continues to house women students. The basement (which had served as a dining hall and a theater) currently serves as administrative offices for student organizations and the Student Development office.