| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Browne Hall was built in 1880 by Thomas Moses, a professor of natural science at Urbana. The building became university property in 1918. The interesting architectural features of this three-story building include dormers, elaborate scrollwork, and brackets. Additionally, burned bricks, discolored from overfiring and known as clinker bricks form a number of belt courses around the house. Two of these belt courses have a row of dogtooth bricks sandwiched between clinker bricks.
Like the other historic buildings on the Urbana campus, Browne Hall is associated with the Swedenborgian Church and Johnny "Appleseed" Chapman, its best known member.