Hickman-Johnson-Furrow Learning Center
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
First opened as the Alumni Gymnasium in February 1914, the Hickman-Johnson-Furrow Learning Center reflects the widespread influence of architect William Beuttler on the Morningside Campus. The original gymnasium was designed with involved brick work, keystones, and an imposing entrance with a huge, pedimented stone doorway with fluted pilasters and a transom light.
Strong enrollments following World War II and growth in many educational disciplines increased the need for reference book and periodical collections, as well as for study space. These developments led to a 1956 renovation, the last major building project during Earl Roadman's administration, to convert the gym into additional library facilities. A 1984 renovation and addition retained the entrance structure but re-set it at an angle to the new structure, defining a large patio at the entrance. The most recent interior renovations of 2005-06 reflect the trend in higher education to domesticate library spaces, making them more inviting and supportive for use by students and the entire campus community.