| Click on image titles for larger views. |
| Institution Name: Morningside College |
Original/Historic Place Name: Women's Residence Hall
Location on Campus: 3318 Vine Ave.
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s): Type of Place: Individual building
|Foundation: poured concrete|
|Roof: asphalt shingle (original); ballasted rubber (current)|
| || Function: |
| 1927||other (facilities for dramatic and social events)|
| 1927||dining hall|
| 1927- present (2007)||residence hall (for women)|
|ca. 1937-1940||residence hall (one wing housed Army Air cadets)|
| 1966-present (2007)||residence hall (for married students)|
Narrative: see below
|National Register||Morningside College Historic District (1997) |
References: see below
Although the Women's Residence Hall had been in the planning stages for twenty years, it was only constructed in 1926, when there was no other option for housing the increasing number of female students attending Morningside College. The completed building boasted a gracious domestic environment, with a sun parlor and drawing room in each hall. The dining room and kitchen contained the most modern equipment of the time. On the exterior, the loggias, roof terrace, and decorative cast-iron balconies contributed to the charm of the structure.
Finished just before the economic downturn of the late 1920s, the building ended up serving as faculty housing when student enrollments dropped, and the college found it more difficult to pay faculty. The building continues to serve as a residence hall for the majority of the first year students. While the foodservice operation is no longer in the building, large, gracious lounge spaces still exist.
In 1946 the residence hall was renamed to honor Lillian E. Dimmitt, a classics professor at the college from 1893 to 1965.
|I. Bibliographic sources: |
Orwig, Timothy T. Morningside College: A Centennial History. Sioux City, IA: Morningside College Press, 1994.
Orwig, Timothy T. Morningside College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1997.
|II. Location of other data: |
|University: Special Collections |
|Government Offices |
|Other: Sioux City Public Museum Archives & Research Center |