Charles City College Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The only instructional building completed before 1900 in the Morningside College Historical District, Charles City College Hall was originally identified as the College of Technology. Successively renamed Old Main, North Hall, and the Conservatory of Music, it finally became Charles City College Hall in 1958 when Morningside College merged with the German Methodist college of that name. The building was gutted in a 1914 explosion and fire; rebuilding quickly followed, with the walls being extended upward four feet, and the original bell tower, dormers, and slate roof not being replaced. Subsequent renovations have removed most interior details, though the interior hallway configuration is still the same.
This building is significant in that it was the first building on what is now the campus of Morningside College. It initially contained nearly all the college functions, a dramatically different arrangement than in places of higher education today. As the college changed, the building evolved and remained an important element of the campus.
The initial architect was Charles P. Brown, known from a number of buildings of similar design still admired in Sioux City today. The builder was J.M. Poorbaugh, who touted the strength of quartzite stone as a building material. The cost of the original construction was $35,000.