DuPre Administration Building
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
This is one of four identical campus homes, which are fine examples of Southern middle-class townhouses of the 1850s. Notable features include the floors, mantles, stairs and other woodwork. Additions and conversion to administrative use occurred after World War II.
The house was first occupied by Professor Warren DuPre in 1855, then by his son, Professor Daniel A. DuPre, and followed by their cousin, Dean A. Mason DuPre. The house was rebuilt on the original foundations after serious damage by fire in 1881, and the interior materials and craftsmanship are therefore inferior to the other four homes. After Dean DuPre died in 1949, the building was converted to administrative uses.
The president and dean have their offices in this building, which also houses several academic support functions. There is a Board of Trustees meeting room on the second floor with several significant features, including portraits of founder Benjamin Wofford and his second wife, Maria Barron Wofford, painted from life by an itinerant painter, William Barclay.