| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
From National Register report (1995):
Built in 1899, South Hall is a three and a half story brown brick building constructed in the Colonial revival style. Built as a dormitory and used as a language house (French House), it is formal in appearance, seven bays wide with a central entrance and broad front porch supported by paired ionic columns. Windows have single-pane sash beneath cast stone headers with prominent keystones. The central bays at the second and third stories are semi-hexagonal projections. The building has a hipped roof covered with slate. There are gabled dormers. The central one is large, containing a three-part window topped with a scroll pediment with finial. The building has a stone foundation, with stone construction extending up to the level of the first story window sills. South Hall faces west across a wide landscaped lawn from Norland and Edgar Halls.