| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The oldest building on campus, the President's Home has been the official residence of the College President since 1903. Built by students, it is a large, thirteen-room, two-story wood-framed structure of classic design located in the northeast section of the campus. As noted in the Wiley College Reporter, May 1, 1930, "While this structure has served the purpose very well in years gone by, the progress and evolution of the institution make it look antiquated and plans are a foot to build a new home ."
Although a new home has never been constructed, the building was completely renovated and redecorated during the summer of 1958. During 1992 the residence received a major renovation that included a handicapped-accessible ramp to the southwest entry. In 1997 a partial interior renovation and restoration was begun providing a definition of the original southwest exterior porch from the interior, restoring the President's study on the first floor and adapting the space to a family room, updating the kitchen and making the first-floor bath handicapped accessible. Second floor improvements included relocating the President's study from the first floor to the west bedroom, relocating the utility/laundry room from the first floor, and the renovation of the master bedroom bath and closets.
During the administration of Dr. R. E. Hayes the house was designated a Registered Texas Historic Landmark. Over the years it has been given the fond name of "The White House," in reference to the traditional home of the President of the United States in Washington, D.C. It continues to host special social events held in its spacious reception rooms.