Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Robert Lee Stowe Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Belmont Abbey College
Original/Historic Place Name: College Building
Location on Campus: center of campus, next to Monastery
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s):
1886original construction Unknown
1898addition of tower Unknown
ca. 1900rebuilding after fire Unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style(s): (Glossary)
Materials:
Foundation: granite
Walls: brick; wood
Roof: slate
 
    Function:
ca. 1900-2004administration
ca. 1900-2004other (all offices)
ca. 2004-present (2007)admissions office (and related services)
ca. 2004-present (2007)faculty office (President's office)
ca. 2004-present (2007)other (Tim. L. Harris Center, a high-tech videoconference and computer lab, on third floor)
ca. 2004-present (2007)other (computer center on second floor)
ca. 2004-present (2007)classrooms (on second floor)
ca. 2004-present (2007)administration (financial aid, registrar, public relations, academic affairs, and development)

Significance: architecture, culture, history, religion
Landmark designation:
none
Narrative: see below
References: see below
 

Narrative:
Initial construction began on the College Building, now Robert Lee Stowe Hall, in 1886 and was completed in three stages in 1886, 1888, and 1898, with the gothic tower added in the final stage. A portico was added to the main entrance in 1902. The building, with its slight trim and spare ornamentation, is a mixture of Gothic revival and American Benedictine styels. After two-thirds of the building was destroyed by fire in 1900, it was rebuilt according to the original plan under the supervision of Michael McInerney.

The building originally housed all the offices and functions of the college. Today, in addition to classroom and storage space, Stowe Hall is host to a number of college administrative offices, including the Office of the President, the Admissions Office, the Office of Financial Aid, the college Registrar, and the Office of Academic Affairs. The Tim L. Harris Center, a high-tech video conferencing and computer center, is located on the third floor.
 

References:
I. Bibliographic sources:

Alexander, Frances P., and Richard L. Mattson. Belmont Abbey Historic District [including Belmont Abbey College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1993.

Baumstein, Paschal, Beth Bargar, and Debra G. Estes. A Walking Tour of Historic Belmont Abbey. Booklet. Belmont, NC: Belmont Abbey College, 1997.

II. Location of other data:
University: Library, Special Collections
SHPO
Government Offices
Other: Archives, Belmont Abbey College
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
One Dupont Circle, Ste. 320
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006