Willis J. King Administration Building
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Built from 1906 to 1907, the Carnegie Library at Wiley College was one of thirty-one Carnegie Libraries endowed through the philanthropy of Andrew Carnegie in Texas between 1898 and 1915, and is currently one of only twelve Carnegie public library buildings still existing in Texas. Until 1904, when plans for the Carnegie Library building began, Wiley College had used the South College and the Central Building facilities for its library holdings. With the influence of one of its outstanding graduates, Emmit J. Scott, Secretary to Booker T. Washington of Tuskegee Institute and later Secretary of War during World War I, Dr. Matthew Dogan applied for a grant from the Carnegie Foundation for the construction of a library building to be used by the college and all citizens of the community of Marshall.
Important to the community and college as a symbol of education, it exemplifies the popular Greek revival architecture of this period in American history. The College's 1936-37 catalogue describes the building: "Carnegie Library is a thoroughly modern building located north of the main entrance. It is a classically constructed, two-story building of red pressed brick, trimmed in stone, with two massive Ionic columns giving emphasis to the entrance. Important changes have been made in keeping with the latest library services. The entire floor has been converted into one reading room to accommodate a hundred and twenty persons. New equipment and furniture of latest style have been installed throughout the building. Frigidaire drinking fountains, electric fans, new lighting systems, lavatories and other modern fixtures have been provided for the comfort and convenience of the students".
In 1968, when the library relocated to the new Thomas Winston Cole Sr. Library, the Carnegie Library was remodeled and the name changed to the Willis J. King Administration Building. Presently, it houses the Offices of the President and Executive Vice President, the Business and Finance Offices, Offices of Human Resources, and the Office of Sponsored Programs.