| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Built in the mid-to late-1820s, Hyatt Hall is one of the oldest buildings in the area. According to local history, it was built for the McInvain family, who were prominent members of Chester society at the time. The property changed hands numerous times before it was sold to Charles Hyatt in 1917. Hyatt was then headmaster, like his father before him, of the preparatory school for the Pennsylvania Military Academy, and the building was put to use as a dorm for boys attending the school. In 1932 it became the residence of the school's Commandant. After the death of Hyatt's son Frank, who had taken over as headmaster after his father's retirement, the building was used for classrooms until 1956. From 1957 until 1981, Hyatt Hall has been dedicated exclusively to the Center for Education.
In 1999, the interior of Hyatt Hall was renovated, but the exterior architecture was preserved. Structural changes included the construction of a three-story addition (without disturbing the architectural integrity of the main section of the building), the replacement of the heating and air conditioning system, and the installation of an elevator. The upgrade has enabled most of the Center for Education faculty to reside in a central location.