Wardman House (President's House)
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Wardman House, the home of Whittier College's president, dates from 1927. A superb example of a Mediterranean-style mansion with Spanish emphasis, it was designed by the noted Los Angeles architectural firm of that period, Webber, Staunton, and Spaulding. In addition to the Wardman house, the firm also designed the Gardner Building (La Casa Primera) at Malaga Cove in the Palos Verdes Estates development, the famed "Greenacres" in Beverly Hills, and the Casino in Avalon on Catalina Island. Greenacres, the former Harold Lloyd Estate at 1040 Angelo Drive, is L.A. Historic Cultural Monument 279.
The hacienda styling of the Wardman home, many details of which can be found in the firm's other structures as well, includes white stucco exterior walls, a large, walled and gated stone courtyard at the entrance, and lush landscaping. The Wardman House is sited magnificently upon a hilltop three-acre site overlooking the Los Angeles basin, in a quiet residential neighborhood on hills above and just a short distance away from the college.
For more than forty years, the Wardman House was the palatial private home of millionaire Aubrey Wardman and his wife, Bonnie. Aubrey Wardman was a southern California pioneer of the telephone and oil industries who was also active in California real estate development. The Wardmans gave the house to Whittier College in the 1970s. Since then, it has served as the official residence of three college presidents, and is the frequent location of dinners and receptions for the board of trustees, students, faculty, and alumni.