| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The President's House of Bellarmine University (Edgewood) is a Victorian structure that was built in 1870. The area, near bluffs over the Ohio River, was used as a summer home district by prominent Victorian Louisville residents, and also was the vicinity of a post-Civil War horse breeding farm.
The main block of the original house is two and one-half stories with a five bay façade, small rectangular attic windows, and a low-hipped roof. Its exterior walls are eight-inch solid brick covered with white clapboard. The Palladian window and the wide column wrap-around veranda were added ca. 1905. A two-story north wing, in Colonial Revival style, was built about 1915.
This structure has served as the University President's House since 2000 and is now also used for multiple University gatherings and events.