Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Banks Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Wesleyan College
Original/Historic Place Name: Banks Hall
Location on Campus: Leach Dr.
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s):
1928original construction Walker & Weeks
1999renovation Unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style(s): (Glossary)
Materials:
Foundation: poured concrete
Walls: brick
Roof: shingle
 
    Function:
ca. 1928-present (2007)residence hall

Significance: architecture, education
Landmark designation:
National RegisterWesleyan College Historic District (2004)
Narrative: see below
References: see below
 

Narrative:
Banks Hall is named in the honor of the late William Nathaniel Banks and Mary Evelyn Wright Banks (Class of 1914) of Grantville, Georgia. The Banks were trustees and longtime benefactors of the college.

Constructed in 1928 as a communal bath style residence hall, Banks Hall is currently the second largest hall on campus, with fifty-nine rooms that comfortably house 105 students.

Banks Hall underwent extensive renovations in 1999. Ceiling fans have been installed in each room to supplement the room-controlled air conditioning units. Every room is wired for high-speed internet access and extended basic cable service. Specialized study rooms located on each floor offer additional services, including printers for student use.

Banks Hall has accommodated many students in the past years, typically housing first-year students. In 2004 Banks Hall provided special event housing for fall preview weekend, the annual Alumnae House Party, and Florida hurricane evacuees.

Any community housed in Banks has been vibrant, trusting, and strong. Visitors, guests, and other residents often find students socializing in the lounges, hallways, and kitchens. Additionally, the communal bath layout at Banks fosters a close-knit resident community.
 

References:
I. Bibliographic sources:

Akers, Samuel L. The First Hundred Years of Wesleyan College, 1836-1936. Macon, GA: Wesleyan College, 1976.

Miller, Margaret. "The Founding and Early History of Wesleyan College." M. A. thesis, University of Georgia, 1935.

Quillian, William Fletcher. A New Day for Historic Wesleyan. Nashville, TN: Printed for Wesleyan College, Publishing House Methodist Episcopal Church, [1928?].

Rees, Frances. "A History of Wesleyan Female College from 1836 to 1874." M. A. thesis, Emory University, 1935.

Thomas, Kenneth H., Bamby Ray, and Lynn Speno. Wesleyan College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 2004.

II. Location of other data:
SHPO
Government Offices
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
One Dupont Circle, Ste. 320
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006