| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Persons Hall is named in memory of Mary Barry Persons, Class of 1869, in appreciation of a substantial gift to Wesleyan's endowment by her two sons, Robert T. and G. Ogden Persons of Forsyth, Georgia.
Persons Hall was constructed in 1928 as a community bath-style residence hall. In a renovation completed in 1998, the hall was converted to suite-style accommodations. With the renovations, two-room suites are now connected by a large bath with tiled showers, two vanities, and custom-designed storage cabinets. The hardwood floors were restored to their original sheen. In 2004, plaques designating previous donors were restored and are displayed on the door to each room, bringing back a long history of Wesleyannes.
Persons, the third largest hall on campus, includes fifty-one rooms and can house ninety-nine students comfortably. Accommodations include spacious lounges, ironing rooms, reading rooms, kitchens, and a large porch. Custom moldings and millwork in bright white accent the elegant neutral color scheme and are highlighted by brass lighting fixtures. The Adam mantels with marble facings are original to the parlors but have been completely restored.
In the rooms, ceiling fans supplement the room-controlled air conditioning units. Custom computer/study nooks are installed, and the building was completely re-wired, re-plumbed, and networked for computer, telephone, and cable. Every room is wired for high-speed internet access; extended basic cable service is available in each room as well. There is a printer located on each floor for student use.
Persons Hall has accommodated many students in the past years, traditionally housing upper-class students. Any community housed in Persons has been strong and lively. The large lounges allow for group activities like watching movies or organizing study sessions.