Maiden, Wheeling, College, and Beau St. entrances
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
At the College Street entrance to the campus visitors will find a brick gateway and a path leading to the main academic building. This gateway was donated by the fraternity Phi Gamma Delta in honor of its six founders. Ground was broken at the 100th Anniversary Ekklesia on June 28, 1948. It was dedicated October 29, 1949 after the homecoming convocation. At that time, five brothers served on the college board of trustees. The fraternity refurbished the gate in time for the 150th Anniversary Ekklesia in 1998.
The Maiden Street entrance offers a quick history lesson on the roots of Washington and Jefferson College. One side of the Maiden Street gate explains the origins of Jefferson College in John McMillan's Log College. The other side describes Thaddeous Dodd's Washington Academy and the subsequent Washington College.