Davis Memorial Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Built in the colonial style in 1847 by Alexander Reed, a college trustee, this white-painted brick structure is one of the area's most appealing examples of architecture of that period. At one point in time, Davis was a final stop on the Underground Railroad.
The Reed Home, as it was once known, was acquired by W&J in 1939 for use as a dormitory for thirty-three students. In the early 1940s, Davis was converted to the Electrical Engineering Building to accommodate the students' interest in engineering.
The name of the building was changed to Davis Memorial in 1947 in honor of Harry Hamilton and Tillie Wilkinson Davis, who provided the funds for major remodeling at the time. Following the renovation, the building became the home of the English department, offering classroom space and faculty offices. English department offices are still located at Davis.
Davis marks the lower limit of the campus, separating the college from the Old National Road (Route 40). The original cast iron fence, in good condition at the time of the acquisition, was used to cast the fencing that now runs along the southern end of campus.