McIlvaine Memorial Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Formerly part of Washington Seminary, a distinguished girls' school, this building dates to 1897. In 1940, W&J acquired McIlvaine through a bequest of Judge John A. McIlvaine, class of 1865, the former President of the board of trustees. Immediately, the building was prepared for use as a much needed Biology Department Building. Until the construction of Dieter-Porter Life Science Building in 1980, it provided classroom space, labs, and contained a first floor auditorium.
Among the interesting exterior features of McIlvaine is the portico, modeled after that at Mt. Vernon. Now a multi-purpose building, McIlvaine is the headquarters for the Sociology and Philosophy Departments, as well as the site of some classes for various English courses.
See also the entry for the John Leighton Stewart Tower and Stephen Collins Foster Carillon