Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Chapel of St. Basil

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: University of St. Thomas
Original/Historic Place Name: Chapel of St. Basil
Location on Campus: northeast campus, just east of Moran Garage
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s):
1957first designs Johnson, Philip
1997original construction completed Johnson, Philip
Type of Place: Individual building
Style(s): (Glossary)
Materials:
Foundation: steel reinforced concrete (pier and beams)
Walls: steel studs (exterior); EIFIS (exterior); S/R (interior); plaster (interior)
Roof: built-up bituminous material; tar; gravel
 
    Function:
ca. 1997-present (2007)chapel

Significance: architecture, religion
Landmark designation:
none
Narrative: see below
References: see below
 

Narrative:
In 1997, Philip Johnson, one of the most influential architects of his generation, came out of retirement to complete the Academic Mall at the University of St. Thomas, which he had begun in 1956. The completion of the Chapel allows the University to more suitably further its academic mission to become the premier Catholic institution in the Southwest. The Chapel has become a landmark building not only for the University but also for the city of Houston. It has won AIA awards for religious art and interiors, and is on the unofficial chapel tour path of those who visit the Rothko Chapel and the Byzantine Chapel, both of which are owned by the Menil Foundation and are immediately adjacent to campus.
 

References:
I. Bibliographic sources:

BGK Architects and H2L2. Revised Campus Master Plan. [BGK Architects, Austin, TX and H2L2, Philadelphia, PA], 2000.

"Chapel for St. Thomas University, Houston, Texas, 1991, Philip Johnson Architects." Zodiac 7 (March/August 1992): 34-[43].

Kipnis, Jeffrey. "Philip Johnson." A & U [Architecture & Urbanism] no. 259 (April 1992): 6-39.

Moorhead, Gerald. "Johnson Chapel." Architectural Record 185 (August 1997): 29.

Sechelski, Teana, ed. First 50 Years: University of St. Thomas, 1947-1997. [s.l.: s.n., n.d.].

II. Location of other data:
University: Special Collections, Facilities Management Office
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
One Dupont Circle, Ste. 320
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006