| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
This house is another example of a structure built as a private residence near the Wabash campus that eventually came to hold a particular place in the history of the college and to be maintained by the college. Atlas Minor Hadley, the first resident of the house, graduated from Wabash in 1852; by 1855 he was made principal of the Preparatory Department housed in the new Normal School (now Kingery Hall) and later became professor of Greek. Hadley was much loved by his students, who "caned" him at a relatively young age (the college has the gold headed ebony cane with students' names engraved), a significant honor for a professor.
Following Professor Hadley's death in 1866, his widow, Eliza, remained in the house until 1922, giving music lessons and lodging many students. In 1927, Dean George V. and Yvonne Kendall bought the house from the Hadley estate and rebuilt it, adding the brick facade without changing the lines of the original wooden house. They lived there until 1957 when the college purchased the house from them. For generations of Wabash men and faculty, Dean Kendall set an exemplary standard of thought and conduct, character and common sense, receiving the highest respect and admiration of Wabash students. As the only dean, he was in charge of academics, the faculty, operations, student housing, health, discipline, and activities. The restored Kendall home was felt to be a model for gracious living, and they often entertained college guests.