Detchon Center for International Studies
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Built to be the first free-standing library on the Wabash campus, Yandes Library Hall housed 30,000 volumes in 1892. When completed in 1890, the building of two stories and a basement had an eighty-foot tower that was later removed. The first floor accommodated 75,000 volumes on wrought iron stacks, a large reading room, and a librarian's office. The Trustees Room, two art galleries, and offices opened off an open second floor balcony. A center skylight let in light for the stacks below.
The building was named for Simon B. Yandes, an important early benefactor and trustee of the college, who gave a significant sum toward its construction. When the new Lilly Library was completed just across the Mall in 1959, modest changes in Yandes were made to house the Art Department, a gallery/performance hall, radio station, and classrooms. With a major gift in 1995 from Irwin Lee Detchon, Wabash alumnus and local artist, Yandes was totally renovated, expanded, and renamed Detchon Center for International Studies. Many of the original features such as woodwork, hardware and moldings, were either reused or duplicated, including the tower which was redesigned and positioned to signify the realignment of the building to face the current College Mall.