| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Reverend Milo Williams, the Chairman of the Board of the fledgling College, was first to recognize the need for a residence hall, and in 1852, he convinced Colonel James to ask W. Russel West to design another building. The simple structure, begun in the summer of 1853, was to include a study, kitchen, dining hall, and a barracks-like dormitory room capable of accommodating sixteen male students. West's blueprints were supposed to encourage a sense of community. The Trustees accepted that theme, and planned to have the students live as a family under the supervision of a matron who would provide "the comforts and influences of domestic life."
Completed in 1856, Oak Hall is a squarish Greek Revival building. One of its most notable occupants was Thomas Coleman DuPont, a student at Urbana University from 1876-1879. His name is etched on the window sill and is still there to this day. DuPont later became a major donor to Urbana University and was awarded an honorary degree in 1922. He was a U.S. Senator from Delaware at the time.
Oak Hall has had upgrades throughout the years, but is in need of a complete renovation and preservation plan. It currently houses business offices on the first floor and faculty offices on the second and third floors.
Oak Hall is listed on the National Historic Registry as part of the "Historic Buildings of Urbana College."