Old Stone House
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
In 1834 the house now known as Old Stone House was built on top of Indian Hill in Warrick County, Newburgh, Indiana, overlooking the Ohio River. It was built by Gaines Head Roberts, a North Carolina native who arrived in Warrick County in 1810 and prospered by clearing government land and selling the lumber. One of these land grants was signed by President Martin Van Buren. Built out of sandstone, the house is three feet thick in the basement, two feet thick on the first floor, and eighteen inches thick on the second floor. The house went through many different ownerships and was used for a variety of purposes before finally being purchased by Thomas and Edna Morton in 1931. At that time it was in disrepair and needed extensive renovations and updating. Thomas and Edna Morton donated the Old Stone House and 70 acres to the University in 1969.