Long Walk, The
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Trinity's "Long Walk" range, consisting of Seabury Hall, Northam Towers, and Jarvis Hall, constitutes the first group of buildings constructed after the College's move in the 1870's from downtown Hartford to its present location. In an ambitious gesture, then President Abner Jackson chose William Burges, one of England's leading architects, to design the new buildings. Burges never traveled to the United States, and Francis Hatch Kimball served as the local architect. The Long Walk was executed in the so-called High Victorian Gothic style, popular in England and the United States in the second half of the 19th century. Its bold, muscular forms, expressive brownstone-faced walls, and use of structural color reflected the writings of the English art critic John Ruskin. The Long Walk set the pace for the appearance of the campus's future buildings. Burges had wanted the buildings to be arranged in quadrangular fashion, but his early, grandiose plans were drastically cut back to form a long bar-like range, whose bold silhouette dominates the central green space of the campus known as "The Quad." There is no question that Burges's Long Walk established Trinity's architectural identity.