| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Waldemere Hall, built about 1913, was originally the residence of William Leigh and his wife Frances, who was P.T. Barnum's granddaughter. Later, Frances' cousin, Clinton Barnum Seeley, owned the house, as did his nephew, Herbert Barnum Seeley, Jr.
The grounds attached to the building were once extensive, but, following the example of P.T. Barnum's generosity, the Seeley family donated part of their property to the city of Bridgeport. The area is now part of Seaside Park, adjacent land donated by Barnum himself, and is used for athletic fields.
Purchased by the University in 1967, Waldemere Hall is currently in good condition, having been continuously used for academic offices and as the official residence of the president of the University. The first floor of the house is also used for University functions and public events.