| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Old Morrison, Transylvania University's historic administration building, remains the central symbol of the University. It also appears on the official seal of the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government. It was designed by famed Kentucky architect Gideon Shryock and is considered one of the finest examples of Greek revival architecture in the country. During its long history as Transylvania's main building, Old Morrison has served several roles: administration building, classroom building, chapel, and hospital and prison to both Union and Confederate troops.
The design for Old Morrison was produced by Giddeon Shryock, who was to become known as one of America's most talented architects in the Greek Revival style. Already at the age of twenty-seven, Shryock had become famous throughout Kentucky for his capitol building at Frankfort (1825-1827). Construction on Old Morrison was begun in 1831 and after various delays, among them an outbreak of cholera in Lexington, was completed in 1834. It is the oldest extant building on campus (excepting a log cabin which pre-dates the school).
After a fire in 1969, which completely gutted the interior, alumni and friends of the university aided in restoring the building so that it appears much as it did when originally dedicated in 1833. In 1966, Old Morrison was designated a National Register Historic Landmark.