Medgar Evers Home and Museum
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The ranch-style home of Medgar Wylie Evers sits in the Elraine subdivision, the first subdivision developed by black entrepreneurs Winston J. Thompson and Leroy Burnett. The land was purchased in 1955; shortly thereafter, the two began designing and building 850-950 square foot ranch-style homes along Guynes Street, now known as Margaret Walker Alexander Drive. The Evers home, at 2332 Guynes Street, was built in 1956. Mrs. Myrlie Evers recalls that the house was purchased at a cost of $9,500 in 1956. Records show a Warranty Deed executed between W.J. Thompson and Medgar W. Evers on April 27, 1956, and then a Deed of Trust from Evers to the Prudential Insurance Company on May 10, 1956.
Thompson and Burnett completed 36 houses in the subdivision between 1955-1957, on lots approximately 75 feet wide by 90 feet deep. Developing a subdivision for blacks in racially troubled Mississippi in the 1950's was a remarkable feat for two black entrepreneurs, to say the least, but to realise that this particular subdivision was almost completely surrounded by established white neighborhoods is even more remarkable.
The Evers home was renovated in 1994 and appears virtually as it did on June 12, 1963, when Evers was assassinated. Also in 1994, the State of Mississippi designated the Elraine subdivision as the Medgar Evers Neighborhood Historic District, the first neighborhood historic district in the city of Jackson.