| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Ballard Hall is the oldest surviving academic building at Tougaloo College. It is named for Steven Ballard, a Tougaloo College Trustee from Brooklyn, New York, who paid for its construction. At that time, Tougaloo College's industrial arts students built both Ballard Hall and the Ballard Shops (no longer in existence) with his $5,000 investment. Daily devotional services were held in Ballard Hall's second floor prior to the construction of the Woodworth Chapel in 1901.
Ballard Hall is a two-story, Italianate wood frame building with cross-gabled metal roof and brick foundation. Although it presently serves as home for the music and drama departments, this building is in dire need of restoration. The foundation requires stabilization; the exterior siding and windows are in need of major repair. The metal roof, which may be original to the building, also needs to be replaced, and the interior of the structure requires total restoration.