| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The second-oldest existing building on the campus is more significant for its role as a home for Tougaloo College president Stanley Pope and his family than for its architectural style. Pope Cottage is a two-story wood frame building with clapboard siding and a metal roof. The entrance is a single-leaf, double-arched light and panel door. Simple box columns support the porch roof of this venerable vernacular building. A small two-story addition was added many years ago to the east side of the home. Recently this building received a moderate interior cosmetic upgrade as it was converted from an office building to an academic one. However, both the interior and exterior are still in need of aesthetic, structural, and functional improvements.
In 1877, Stanley Pope became the first president of the college fully endowed with the power of that position. He began the work of developing a strong staff of competent teachers. He even made the decision to restructure the curriculum. From the beginning, Tougaloo was co-educational. However, the coursework for the two genders was completely different. Girls were taught housekeeping, millinery, and nursing. Boys were taught farming, woodwork, and industrial work. There was also the work of the normal school, which produced the black teachers so desperately needed in the state. President Pope made the decision to divide the normal school training at two levels. A certificate was granted for the completion of the normal course, but a diploma would be given for the completion of higher normal course consisting of 11th and 12th years. He hoped this would keep many students in school longer to receive more training.