| Click on image titles for larger views. |
| Institution Name: Stetson University |
Original/Historic Place Name: Hulley Tower
Location on Campus: N. Woodland Blvd.
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s): Type of Place: Individual building
|Foundation: continuous poured concrete; dressed limestone (lower portion of tower)|
|Walls: steel skeletal frame; masonry brick with patterned corners|
|Roof: copper (surface)|
| || Function: |
|ca. 1934-present (2007)||memorial site (mausoleum for Stetson's second president, Lincoln Hulley, and his wife Eloise, for whom the bell chimes are named)|
|ca. 1934-present (2007)||bell tower|
Significance: architecture, education, history
Narrative: see below
|National Register||Stetson University Campus Historic District (1991) |
References: see below
Completed in 1934, the 116-foot Hulley Tower originally contained an 11-bell carillion, and a mausoleum for Stetson's second president, Lincoln Hulley, and his wife Eloise. Hulley served as president for 30 years (1904-34), and he and his family built the tower as a gift to the university. He died before it was finished.
The Eloise Chimes were first housed in Elizabeth Hall's cupola, but were moved when Hulley Tower was built. They consisted of 11 rough cast bells, four large and seven smaller ones, ranging from 3,000 to 575 pounds, hung from an all-steel structure 106 feet high. They were played with wooden handles, each attached to a bell by a system of pulleys, wires and leather straps. The playing platform was located on the tower's second level, open to the air and reached by a narrow stone staircase. A series of iron ladders lead to the bells, that was also open to the air.
Stetson's bells have rung over the campus and the city once or twice a day since 1915, depending on the availability of bellringers. They are a DeLand and Stetson University tradition. In 1994, the Kaiser family of DeLand endowed a scholarship to pay the bellringer. The tower was renovated in 1986.
During the course of the next two decades, however, the infrastructure of the tower and bells was compromised by weather damage. Citing safety reasons, university officials in 2005 made the decision to dismantle the upper part of the structure, leaving the mausolem intact. A plan to rebuild the tower and carillon is underway.
|I. Bibliographic sources: |
Johnston, Sidney. "The Historic Stetson University Campus in DeLand, 1884-1934." Florida Historical Quarterly (January 1992): 281-304.
Lycan, Gilbert L. Stetson University: The First Hundred Years. DeLand, FL: Stetson University Press, 1983.
Shiver, W. Carl. Stetson University Campus Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1991.
"Stetson begins lowering Hulley Tower." Online (2005). Stetson University, DeLand, FL. http://www.stetson.edu/administration/marcom/articles/view.php?type=news&id=1470
"Stetson University to remove upper portion of weather damaged Hulley Tower." Online (2005). Stetson University, DeLand, FL. http://www.stetson.edu/administration/marcom/articles/view.php?type=news&id=1467
A Walk with the Founders: Stetson University Campus Historic District. Booklet. [DeLand, FL: Stetson University/Public Relations Office], 1996.
|II. Location of other data: |
|University: Special Collections |
|Government Offices |
|Other: Office of Marketing and Communications, Stetson U. |