| Click on image titles for larger views. |
| Institution Name: Stetson University |
Original/Historic Place Name: Chaudoin Hall
Location on Campus: 601 N. Woodland Blvd.
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s): Type of Place: Individual building
|Foundation: continuous brick|
|Walls: masonry brick|
|Roof: composition shingle|
| || Function: |
|ca. 1892||student union (formal parlor)|
|ca. 1892||other (university guest rooms)|
|ca. 1892||other (suite for Dean of Women)|
|ca. 1892-1937||dining hall (including kitchen)|
|ca. 1892-present (2007)||residence hall|
Significance: architecture, education
Narrative: see below
|National Register||Stetson University Campus Historic District (1991) |
References: see below
This three-story residence hall was built in 1892 and expanded in 1894 at a total cost of $62,000. It was named for W.N. Chaudoin, former university trustee and past president of the Florida Baptist Convention, with which Stetson University was affiliated in the past. Major donors were John B. Stetson and C.T. Sampson, a university trustee. In 1935, another wing was added at a cost of $44,000, underwritten by the Florida Baptist Convention. Notable architectural features are a cupola within a balustrade on the crown of the roof and a large front veranda with a fan and sidelights over the entrance.
Stetson's last dean of women (who was later dean of students), the late Etter Turner, lived in Chaudoin from 1931 to 1977 and said, "For those students who have lived here, Chaudoin (is) the living room of the campus." Its full-length veranda, formal parlor with working fireplace, and graceful interior staircase recall the charm of an earlier day.
Chaudoin Hall was renovated in 1982 and 1994, and is in excellent condition.
|I. Bibliographic sources: |
Johnston, Sidney. "The Historic Stetson University Campus in DeLand, 1884-1934." Florida Historical Quarterly (January 1992): 281-304.
Lycan, Gilbert L. Stetson University: The First Hundred Years. DeLand, FL: Stetson University Press, 1983.
Shiver, W. Carl. Stetson University Campus Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1991.
A Walk with the Founders: Stetson University Campus Historic District. Booklet. [DeLand, FL: Stetson University/Public Relations Office], 1996.
|II. Location of other data: |
|University: Special Collections |
|Government Offices |
|Other: Office of Marketing and Communications, Stetson U. |