Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Sykes Residence

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: St. Lawrence University
Original/Historic Place Name: Men's Residence
Location on Campus: Park St.
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s):
1930-1931original construction Sibley, Ernest Licht, Lawrence C.
ca. 1950interior and exterior renovation Unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style(s): (Glossary)
Materials:
Foundation: concrete; stone
Walls: concrete; stone
Roof: slate
 
    Function:
ca. 1930-present (2007)residence hall (originally men's, currently co-ed)

Significance: architecture, education, religion
Landmark designation:
National RegisterSt. Lawrence University - Old Campus Historic District (1983)
Narrative: see below
References: see below
 

Narrative:
"Let good use justify what good will has here erected."

Sykes Residence Hall is the largest building on the campus and is also one of the most structurally complex. Four joined wings form a square around a large interior court, and two large parallel wings are attached to the east side. Stylistically, the building is Georgian revival, finished in the same white Morley limestone as the Gunnison Chapel and Hepburn Hall. Classical woodwork trims the windows, doorways and roofline.

The interior of the building contains over one mile of corridors, and was originally laid out in six "houses" with a master's suite, dormitory rooms, bathrooms, and separate entrances. With the influx of students after WWII, the attic floor was made habitable by the installation of rows of dormer windows. The public areas were finished in an appropriate Colonial revival style. A common room features a high beamed ceiling, wainscoting, end paneled walls with fireplaces and original reproductions of 18th century furniture. Hidden features provided for the presentation of motion pictures and radio programs. Similar Colonial revival style details are also found in the sunken dining room and cafeteria and in the second floor library. The building continues to be used as a men's residence hall.
 

References:
I. Bibliographic sources:

Baule, John A. St. Lawrence University--Old Campus Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1974.

"St. Lawrence University, Canton, N.Y. Ernest Sibley and Lawrence C. Licht, Architects."Architectural Forum 55 (November 1931): 545-52.

II. Location of other data:
University: Library, Special Collections, Facilities Management Office
SHPO
Government Offices
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
One Dupont Circle, Ste. 320
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006