| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Although the Paca-Carroll House was built early in the Victorian era as another duplex to serve two faculty families, the house is a simple, well-proportioned building reminiscent of the Federal era. It was named for two signers of the Declaration of Independence: William Paca, who was among those petitioning the General Assembly for the college charter, and Charles Carroll of Carrollton, a member of St. John's first board. James Cain, the American novelist, whose father taught at St. John's, was born in Paca-Carroll in 1892. In this century it became a student dormitory, which was enlarged in 1981 when a contemporary wing was added and the original section was gutted and rebuilt.