Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Humphreys Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: St. John's College (MD)
Original/Historic Place Name: "The Boarding House"
Location on Campus: front right, facing College Ave.
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s):
1835-1837original construction Long, Robert Cary, Jr.
ca. 1900renovation Unknown
1958interior renovation Unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style(s): (Glossary)
Materials:
Foundation: stone
Walls: brick
Roof: slate
 
    Function:
ca. 1837-1900residence hall
ca. 1900-1958academic department building (science)
ca. 1958-present (2007)residence hall
ca. present (2007)other (bookstore)

Significance: architecture, education, history
Landmark designation:
none
Narrative: see below
References: see below
 

Narrative:
Humphreys Hall was the second campus building, and the first to be erected specifically for college use. Named for the Rev. Hector Humphreys, college principal from 1831 to 1857, Humphreys was built to serve as a dormitory and boarding house for out-of-town students.

Designed by Baltimore architect Robert Cary Long, Jr., and built by Elijah Wells, Humphreys Hall is an excellent example of castellated Gothic Revival, notable for its octagonal towers at the corners. In the early twentieth century, the structure, now too antiquated to serve adequately as housing, was renovated for use as a science building. In 1958 the interior was again remodeled as a dormitory. The college bookshop in the basement displays the original center support of the building, a foundation wall of brick culminating in a row of round-headed arches.
 

References:
I. Bibliographic sources:

Dunbar, Florence T. Humphreys Hall [St. John's College]. Historic American Buildings Survey report and photographs. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1964.

Tilghman, Tench Francis. The Early History of St. John's College in Annapolis. Annapolis, MD: St. John's College Press, 1984.

Trieschmann, Laura, and Kim Williams. Humphrey's Hall, St. John's College. Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties report. Crownsville, MD: Maryland Historical Trust, 2000.

Turner, Paul Venable. Campus: An American Planning Tradition. New York: Architectural History Foundation; Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1984.

II. Location of other data:
University: Library, Special Collections
Government Offices
Other: Maryland Hall of Records
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
One Dupont Circle, Ste. 320
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006