St. Joseph's Chapel
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
St. Joseph's Chapel, Modified Gothic in style, was built in 1909-1910 to replace an earlier chapel that had been destroyed by fire. Designed by architect A.H. Downey of Mobile, it was constructed of brick covered immediately with cream-colored stucco to match Yenni Hall. It is generally thought to be one of the most beautiful churches in Mobile. During the day it is flooded with golden light streaming through the amber glass in the windows. White pillars support an arched ceiling. It provides an excellent place for quiet prayer and community worship and is beloved as a location for weddings.
In the 1980's its interior was remodeled to accommodate the new forms of liturgy dictated by Vatican II. Currently it is in serious need of repair, though it is structurally still sound. Work is scheduled to begin in early summer 2003 on the outside to eliminate serious moisture problems. Upon completion of that work, attention will be turned to the inside, with some attempt to return it to its original appearance while at the same time accommodating modern liturgies. The work will be under the supervision of the architectural firm Williams & Associates of Mobile.
It is a building rich in the memories of most Spring Hill Alumni. They recall daily and weekly masses celebrated in that beautiful space, as well as the week-long yearly religious retreats required of all. Many alumni were married there and think of it as unequaled as the setting for both elaborate formal weddings and quiet informal ceremonies. To many people it is the heart and soul of Spring Hill College.