| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Fondren Hall was originally built as the Natatorium in the early 1890's. It was severely damaged by a tornado in 1922 but was rebuilt and continued its use as a natatorium until 1970. It was used for storage until its conversion into a student activity center and then the campus bookstore.
A two-story coursed rubble building with segmental arches on the north, east and west facades, Fondren Hall is a load-bearing limestone structure. The floor is a concrete slab and there are various levels and wooden platforms that separate the interior space. The roof is framed with wood and features a series of large wooden trusses as the main structural support. The first floor is approximately 1,450 gross square feet. The west façade is attached to the 1940's auditorium-armory building.