Roy and Lillie Cullen Building
| Click on image titles for larger views. |
Roy and Lillie Cullen Building (partial front facade, with tower, from the south), Southwestern University
The cornerstone of the Roy and Lillie Cullen Building was set Sept 8, 1898 and the building completed April 23, 1900. Designed by architects Layton & Raymond of Oklahoma, the building façade was constructed of ornately detailed limestone, locally quarried and hauled by horse and wagon. The mason that did the work on this building also did the stonework for the Texas Capital building in Austin. Hand tools used in the construction of the building are located in Special Collections. At the turn of the century the building was hailed as one of the finest collegiate buildings west of the Mississippi. The administrative building set the design standards for all permanent future buildings. A few buildings deviated from the core design but have since been demolished and replaced with architecture more complimentary to the design of this building.
Robert Stewart Hyer, a well known scientist, had his office in this building and conducted early experiments in wireless telegraphy and x-ray machines in the Physics Lab on the first floor. Hyer supervised the construction of the building. Hyer served as President of Southwestern University and later became President of SMU. Writer J. Frank Dobie often visited the Administrative Building and on one occasion participated in a tree planting ceremony. The live oak he planted is just south of the building.
Since the time of its construction, the Roy and Lillie Cullen Building has been carefully preserved. The windows, walls, trim, stairs and wainscot are original. A 1977 renovation focused on HVAC and life safety issues. A recent (2002) renovation salvaged the original long leaf pine wood flooring from the auditorium, some of which was used in the project as flooring and the remainder was stored for future renovations. The present Facilities Master Plan includes a project for complete renovation of the building. The proposed renovation continues the history of preservation and proposes to showcase the building as one of Texas's best collegiate examples of Romanesque revival architecture.