| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
In 1898 President L. Clark Seelye was overwhelmed by the generosity of an anonymous parent who pledged $50,000 for the creation of a new academic building to be named in Seelye's honor, in the hopes that others would match his gift. That building was the handsome Seelye Hall. The early Seelye Hall housed recitation rooms for students, private offices for teachers, dressing rooms on every floor, a faculty room where professors could take tea, and an airy rotunda library with radiating stacks boasting 44,000 volumes. In the February 1900 edition of the Smith College Monthly, a student was moved to write that "Seelye Hall is by far the best of our college buildings.'
Since then, Seelye has evolved through the years to meet the ever-changing needs of Smith's students and faculty. After the completion of the Neilson Library in 1910, the geology department moved its library and rock collection into Seelye Hall. At the time, the basement was known as the Seelye Note Room, which served as an informal center for classmates to leave or post messages to one another. Seelye Hall was renovated in 1993 and today houses classrooms, faculty offices, and academic support programs such as the Jacobson Writing Center.
Seelye's mysterious patron never identified himself.