Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Stevenson Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Sheldon Jackson College
Original/Historic Place Name: Stevenson Hall
Location on Campus: 801 Lincoln St.
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s):
1910-1911original design Ludlow & Peabody
1923addition of west bay Unknown
1952remodeling Unknown
1971remodeling Unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style(s): (Glossary)
Materials:
Foundation: concrete; wood
Walls: wood; slate; plaster
Roof: shingle; shake
 
    Function:
ca. 1911residence hall (young women)
ca. 2004-present (2007)residence hall (for women Volunteers-in-Mission)
ca. 2004-present (2007)administration (president, dean of academic affairs, college advancement)

Significance: architecture, engineering, history
Landmark designation:
National RegisterSheldon Jackson School (1972)
Narrative: see below
References: see below
 

Narrative:
This structure is part of the original Ludlow & Peabody design and is located on the west side of the main quadrangle. As a young girls' dormitory, Stevenson Hall was designed to house 32 young women. Many young girls lived in this building after arriving at Sheldon Jackson from an orphanage. This was their first home at the school.

The building is named after Mrs. Caroline Stevenson, who served as the Synod President of California for many years and was an avid supporter of and advocate for the school

An addition of a west bay was added in 1923. Remodeling in 1952 divided the large dormitory rooms into smaller rooms. Additional remodeling in 1971 converted the area to accommodate double occupancy rooms. The first floor is currently being used as administrative offices that include the Offices of the President, the Dean of Academic Affairs, and College Advancement. The second floor is used as housing for women Volunteers-in-Mission. This building received National Historical Landmark Status on August 7th, 2001.
 

References:
I. Bibliographic sources:

Crittendon, Edwin B. Survey [Sheldon Jackson College]. [Anchorage, AK: CCC Architects and Planners], 1987-1995.

Clemens, Janet, Chris Allan, Linda Cook, Heidi Siegel, and Amanda Zeman. Sheldon Jackson School. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1972.

II. Location of other data:
University: Library, Special Collections
SHPO
Government Offices
Other: National Park Service
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
One Dupont Circle, Ste. 320
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006