Gertrude Kistler Memorial Library
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Until the Gertrude Kistler Memorial Library was built in 1926, the library was housed in the Main Building in a room that had been the library for the Sinnott family. In addition to the poignant story that the library was built in memory of their daughter Gertrude, who died at age 14 in 1920, the library is also the heart of the college. Mr. and Mrs. Kistler added a wing in 1935, and upon their deaths in 1952, the last addition to the building was made in 1954, thanks to the Kistlers, who bequeathed their estate to Rosemont College.
The library is not merely a repository for books, as technology has taken hold in the library's development. And while it continues to be the place for learning, the main reading room is also often used for lectures, reunions, and other small social events. Kistler Library is one of the first places alumnae visit upon their arrival to campus.