Francis T. West Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Built in 1909 and dedicated in April 1910, this former courthouse became a Roanoke College facility in 1987. It is one of the oldest public buildings in the Roanoke Valley, having served the county until 1985, and has been described as one of the best examples of Beaux Art architecture in the state of Virginia.
Roanoke County and the Town of Salem hired Roanoke architect Henry Huggins to execute his design in the classical revival style. Additions to the structure were made in 1946 and again in 1960 when the original courtroom was altered to create a third floor. Today the building serves as an academic center for the College; it houses classrooms and offices for four departments.