| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Augsburg's College Center, recently renamed for former president Bernhard Christensen, was built in 1965 as part of a larger plan focused on student life outside the classroom. It is connected by a skyway to a high-rise residence hall built in the late 1960s. The Christensen Center and the neighboring dormitory were designed by St. Louis-based Sverdrup & Parcel and Associates; the firm's founder, General Leif Sverdrup, was an alumnus of Augsburg (1918). His firm was known for many large-scale architectural and engineering projects, including Busch Stadium in St. Louis, and the company's work at Augsburg College is an example of the architect's attachment to his alma mater.
The Christensen Center has undergone a series of minor interior changes--for example, to update the appearance of food service and bookstore facilities. Its most recent renovation occurred in 2002, when a new art gallery, a coffee shop, and a computer lounge were added to the main floor.