| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Hauser Library, completed in 1930, represented the last building completed by Reed College in the original Tudor Gothic style. The preceding buildings were Eliot Hall and the Dormitory Building. The building was designed by Pietro Belluschi following A.E. Doyle's death in 1928. Both architects were with the same firm.
The building is in excellent condition and continues to function as the center of the current library, which was much expanded in 1963, 1989, and 2002. The latest two expansions added features that incorporated the original Gothic grotesques and feel with a Modern Academic Gothic style while retaining the building's orientation facing Eliot Hall and the lawn expanse.