Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project


Jernigan Building

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Queens University of Charlotte
Original/Historic Place Name: Conservatory of Music (1914-1924), Ninniss Music Building (1924-1963), Jernigan Student Center (1963-1989)
Location on Campus: Building 24
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s):
1914original construction Hook, C. C.
1963interior remodeled Unknown
1976remodeled Unknown
1990remodeled Unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style(s): (Glossary)
Foundation: masonry
Walls: brick (exterior); plaster (interior)
Roof: Ludowici-style tile
ca. 1914auditorium
ca. 1914academic department building (conservatory of music)
ca. 1914-1950chapel
1963-1989student union
ca. 2004-present (2007)administration

Significance: architecture, culture, history
Landmark designation:
Narrative: see below
References: see below

This is one of the original five buildings designed by C. C. Hook. (Hook was inventive in his adaptation of stylistic effects for an eclectic approach to the Georgian style; the building has the same stylistic adaptations as Burwell.) Originally it housed the Conservatory of Music, and the auditorium on one side of the building featured a pipe organ on stage. Chapel services were held here, as well as all the musical recitals. Although the exterior looks untouched, the interior was completely remodeled in 1963. It functioned as a student center from 1963-1989. The post office, snack bar, day student lounges, and offices of student government and student publications were housed here until the 1980s. In the 1990s the snack bar closed, and the drama department used the space for the Black Box Theatre. When the post office moved, the first floor was remodeled as office space for the business office, the student bank, human resources, financial aid and registrar. Jernigan was named in honor of former President Dr. Charlton C. Jernigan, who taught at the University of North Carolina Greensboro and Florida State University in their classics departments before coming to Queens. He was President for two years before he died in office. During his administration, two new buildings were erected, a number were remodeled, and the students were actively involved in campus life. He gave them a vision for the College. Since 1963, the building has been renovated twice, in 1976 and 1990.

I. Bibliographic sources:

Bishir, Catherine, et. al. Architects and Builders in North Carolina: A History of the Practice of Building. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press, 1990.

Hankin, Lisa Bush. "Charles Christian Hook." Online (2006). Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission. Queens University of Charlotte, Charlotte, NC.

John Nolen Papers. 1890-1938, 1954-1960. Division of Rare & Manuscript Collections, Kroch Library, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.

Kratt, Mary Norton, and Thomas W. Hanchett. Legacy: The Myers Park Story. Charlotte, NC: Myers Park Foundation, 1986.

McEwen, Mildred Morse. Queens College, Yesterday and Today. Charlotte, NC: Queens College Alumnae Association, 1980.

II. Location of other data:
University: Special Collections

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
One Dupont Circle, Ste. 320
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006