Hager Administration Building
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Hager Administration Building is one of four buildings facing a semi-circular drive that make up the so-called "face" of campus. Hager was the central academic and administrative structure on campus for at least a dozen years, and its chapel--Talbott Chapel--was the spiritual heart of campus until Hughes Auditorium was built in 1928-1929. Many evangelists, pastors, and missionaries were trained there. Particularly noteworthy was the Student Volunteer Missionary Band, originally organized on campus as part of a national movement in 1898. By 1924 the Asbury branch of the Student Volunteers, which met in Talbott Chapel, was the largest in the U.S.
The building was well-designed by E. Stamler, a prominent local firm, and was carefully and substantially built.The carillon in the tower operates manually and mechanically, playing hymns at noon and 5:00 PM daily when school is in session and at Commencement. The building has also undergone extensive interior renovation several times, but the exterior has been maintained as originally designed. The building was named in 1993 for Dr. Cornelius R. and Ruth Hager. Dr. Hager served three times as president of the College.