| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Built in 1864, Chapman Hall is a five-story brick, steel, and concrete structure that was the first facility constructed on Mount Union College's campus. The principle humanities classroom facility, Chapman Hall is named in honor of Professor Ira O. Chapman, who was associated with the College from the fall of 1851 to the time of his death in 1880 and was instrumental in keeping the institution on its feet in the early years.
Once known as College Hall, the building was dedicated by United States Treasury Secretary Salmon P. Chase, who learned during the ceremony that he was appointed Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court.
Chapman Hall was gutted and completely rebuilt in 1966-1967, but its Romanesque influences can still be seen today. It houses 30 faculty offices, 30 classrooms, an accounting laboratory, an audio-visual room, and student and faculty lounges.
This beautiful Mount Union landmark is perhaps the most recognizable symbol of the College and its rich tradition and history. The center of Mount Union's academic life and its campus, Chapman Hall once housed the library and literary society halls, in addition to classrooms and offices. One of the highlights of Chapman Hall was its museum, built in 1868. It housed an Egyptian mummy and stuffed gorilla and was the College's main attraction, remaining on campus until the mid-1900s.
Chapman Hall is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.