Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Historic Quadrangle

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Morehouse College
Original/Historic Place Name: "The Quad" or "The Green"
Location on Campus: Campus quad
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s):
1889-1920sgradual expansion of quadrangle Unknown
Type of Place: Landscape site
Type of landscape–
Distinct topography:
Eight-acre, downward sloping green space flanked by several historic campus buildings; the western end is one of the highest points of elevation in the City of Atlanta.
Large-scale features:
Expanse of green grass and towering oak trees bordered by a walkway of brick pavers set in a basket weave pattern; site of the Benjamin E. Mays Memorial; time capsule set by the class of 1995 to be opened in the year 2045; a granite, rusticated marker, engraved 1923, erected by students of that year’s graduating class.
Other characteristics:
Each graduating class is honored and celebrated on the site of the marker erected by the 1923 students.
    Function:
1889-present (2007)outdoor space (site for graduation and a tour site)

Significance: architecture, culture, education, history, landscape, religion
Landmark designation:
none
Narrative: see below
References: see below
 

Narrative:
The "Quad" is the original landscape around which the historic Morehouse College campus was first built. It was formerly flanked by Graves, Sale, Robert, Hope and Merrill Halls, the original President's house, Danforth Chapel, and Harkness Hall. Presently, new buildings, including Nabrit-Mapp-McBay Hall, line the quad, and the old President's house has been torn down. The south end of the quad runs into the Clark Atlanta University campus as Harkness Hall, formerly a Morehouse College administrative building now belonging to CAU.
 

References:
I. Bibliographic sources:

Bacote, Clarence A. The Story of Atlanta University, A Century of Service, 1865-1965. Atlanta, GA: Atlanta University, 1969.

Campus Master Plan, Morehouse College, Atlanta, GA, 2002.

Carter, Edward R. The Black Side; A Partial History of the Business, Religious, and Educational Side of the Negro in Atlanta, Ga. Atlanta, GA, 1894.

Jones, Edward A. A Candle in the Dark, A History of Morehouse College. Valley Forge, PA: Judson Press, 1967.

II. Location of other data:
University: Library, Facilities Management Office
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
One Dupont Circle, Ste. 320
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006