Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Charles D. Merrill Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Morehouse College
Original/Historic Place Name: Charles D. Merrill Hall
Location on Campus: campus quad
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s):
1953original construction Unknown
2002renovation; addition Unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style(s): (Glossary)
Materials:
Foundation: concrete
Walls: brick
Roof: shingle
 
    Function:
1953-present (2007)academic department building (chemistry; previously international studies and sociology)

Significance: culture, education, history, religion
Landmark designation:
none
Narrative: see below
References: see below
 

Narrative:
This three-story structure housed classrooms, laboratories, a lecture hall, and instructors' offices for the Chemistry Department. Henderson Lounge was constructed in the building to address the College's growing need for reception space as it hosted world-class dignitaries. In addition to the lounge being used for important social functions, it also served as the meeting place for faculty.
As the building aged and its science facilities became obsolete, it was used for other instructional departments--International Studies and Sociology.

In 2002 Merrill Hall was completely renovated, and its classrooms, laboratories, faculty offices, and lecture hall were restored. The Chemistry Department has reclaimed the building, although Henderson Lounge remains and is reserved for special uses.

The renovation project included a three-story, side-by-side addition to Merrill Hall, known as the Tech Tower. To accommodate technologically advanced instructional programming, the Tech Tower operates as a separate facility. It has contemporary features, including a glass façade and pre-cast molding with a traditional pediment designed to reflect the look of the historic campus buildings.
 

References:
I. Bibliographic sources:

Bacote, Clarence A. The Story of Atlanta University, A Century of Service, 1865-1965. Atlanta, GA: Atlanta University, 1969.

Campus Master Plan, Morehouse College, Atlanta, GA, 2002.

Carter, Edward R. The Black Side; A Partial History of the Business, Religious, and Educational Side of the Negro in Atlanta, Ga. Atlanta, GA, 1894.

Jones, Edward A. A Candle in the Dark, A History of Morehouse College. Valley Forge, PA: Judson Press, 1967.

II. Location of other data:
University: Library, Facilities Management Office
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
One Dupont Circle, Ste. 320
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006