| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Antioch Hall went largely unchanged until 1910 when its chapel was converted into a gymnasium. The building underwent a major renovation in 1959, when its original three-story interior was gutted and enlarged to four stories, and a new front entrance was installed on what was once the rear of the building.
Main is the historic center of all campus activity. Its lofty appearance and cross-shaped layout embodies the spirit and aims of Antioch's founders, the Christian Connexion. It is a good example of the Gothic and Romanesque revival styles popular in the mid-nineteenth century. So familiar are its towers that the building is often erroneously attributed to James Renwick, architect of the Smithsonian Institution. As Antioch's most recognizable landmark, in a sense Main Building represents Antioch itself.